Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Teen Mom...heaven stands

I must confess, I watched Teen Mom tonight, a show on MTV about teen moms. Boy, could I relate to them and their struggles. Maybe because I was months shy of being a teen mom, or maybe because they are normal struggles people deal with. Don't get me wrong, some of it was just dumb and immaturity, but it really made me appreciate how far Andrew and I have come over the seven years we've been together. Boy were we young when we started, just Juniors in high school!

I'm sure that most people know this, but Andrew and I got engaged when we were 19, during that summer. We got pregnant in the fall with Noah. We moved our wedding up 6 months (with so much help from my wonderful mom, thank you) and got married in December. We flew back down two days after getting married, and finished up with finals the next week, then packed up the Civic and drove up to Newberg. Oh, wedded bliss. We really were living on love, and not much else. We both finished up our Sophomore year at George Fox, and had Noah in June.

We struggled through our Junior year, balancing school, working, parenting, and having our own relationship. Looking back on it, it was a lot. But I guess I was raised to "do what you have to do," and didn't really think too much on how hard it was. We made ends meet, and we LOVED Noah, and couldn't imagine life without him. Although it still blows our minds that we didn't "plan" on having him, because he's such a joy now, we'd be so sad without him.

We decided Noah needed a sibling, so during my Senior year, I was pregnant with Jakey. A lot happened, but my teachers were so great at Fox, and so supportive and understanding during a DIFFICULT time in my life. We had so much help from my family, I couldn't have finished up school without all their love, wisdom, and support. I finished my full time student teaching early (because of a flexible cooperating teacher who let me start early), left for Hawaii that night, spent 9 days in Hawaii with all my family, came home, and had Jakey the next day. Did I mention I was 9 months pregnant? What a journey, but again, we made it through.

When Jakey was a few months old and I was graduated (I'm so proud of myself for doing this, I know I'm giving my kids a better future, even though it was a hard journey, I'm proud that they can say they have two college-educated parents...even if we were young:) we moved in with my parents for a year. We saved up, and payed off a LOT of student loans with their help.

Then we moved out into the place we are in now, and I love it. I feel as though we have made it. We don't have a fancy house, or fancy cars, but we both finished school, have good jobs (even if most of mine is staying home), have such loving and supportive family and friends who are surrounding our children, and God has provided and taken care of us in every situation. Without fail. He has been there, and really blessed our lives. While we don't know what life has in store for our family, we do know that we have a Mighty God who will guide our steps, even if we stray from His Will. I'm constantly amazed at His power, and how He has placed people in our lives to be such a blessing to us in different ways. I am so thankful for a husband and a great dad to walk this path with, I can't imagine doing this on my own, and am so happy my kids have such a great dad. So if you have played a part in our journey...thank you, and hopefully someday, we'll get the opportunity to bless others as so many people did in our life.

i have unanswered prayers
i have trouble i wish wasn't there
& i've asked a thousand ways,
you would take my pain away

im trying to understand
how to walk this weary land
make straight the paths the crooked light
oh lord before these feet of mine

when my world is shaking
heaven stands
when my heart is breaking
i never leave your hands

when you walked upon the earth
you yield the broken lost & hurt
i know you hate to see me cry
one day you will settle things right
yeah, one day you will settle things right

when my world is shaking
heaven stands
when my heart is breaking
i never leave your hands
your hands, your hands that shape the world
are holding me, they hold me still
your hands that shape the world
are holding me, they hold me still

when my world is shaking
heaven stands
when my heart is breaking
i never leave you


...when my world is shaking
heaven stands
when my heart is breaking
i never leave
i never leave your hands

6 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, thanks for sharing your story. How amazing to see how God had everything planned out just right for you guys. So good to know there is Someone bigger running things! He is so good!

Anonymous said...

It was the weirdest thing...I was listening to that song when I clicked on your blog and then it started to play again. I was SO confused!
I like it. She is playing a concert at Fox tonight. Come! :)

Mrs. Breum said...

I love that song- I put it on my blog awhile back w/ a post about the girls! That was a great post, too, I loved reading it. Thanks for sharing it!

Nadia said...

WHAT!!?!?? She played tonight? Thanks for calling me, I so would have been there!!! I'm actually mad right now...

Anonymous said...

DANG I wish I would have called! It was real good. She and her husband played for about an hour or so. Shoot. Sorry dawg.

Unknown said...

That's so awesome! God is totally in control of everything that happens :)