Thursday, January 14, 2010

Where am I going?

In college, I had to take a class that discovered four different "life" questions.

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. Where did I come from?
4. Where am I going?

Of course I hated the class because it was a gen ed. I hated most of my gen eds and thought they were pointless. I had some big disagreements/arguments with some professors (there were four who taught it together...a big class) who tried to teach me that evolution was where I came from...at a Christian University...um...yeah.

Anyways, those are big life questions, and an important part of who we are and our plan for our lives. Andrew and I were talking last night about plans. It all started because Andrew says he is trying to eat healthy and not drink soda (insert husband bashing here...not to mind all the McDonalds sodas and bags when I got into his car this morning...ok, that's enough, that is not the purpose of this post.) He bought a six pack of the sodas you get from a vending machine yesterday before dinner. ok, no big deal. So when I got home later in the evening, three were gone. Typical for Andrew, but not when he's trying to cut back. So I asked him what his plan was for the rest of the 3 sodas. Ok, maybe a bit controlling, but if you don't have a plan, they'll be gone by the morning! He thought that question was ridiculous...which maybe it was considering it's just soda. His answer was he would drink them when he was thirsty. Cool. Or not if you are trying to cut back. This lead to a little conversation about how when you don't plan, you plan to fail, whatever. Which really means he has no intent of cutting back on soda or eating healthy, which was good to know so I know what to expect. Anyways, totally not the point of this post. So we continued on with this peaceful** conversation.

What are your plans for the next month, 6 months, year, 5 years, 10 years of your life? Do you know what your spouse's are? Do they match up?

Do we let life happen to us without a plan and just see what happens? Or are we intentional about where we are going in this life. I believe that we have a direct impact on what happens in our future, although we are not in total control...HE is. In one month from now, what do I want to have accomplished? Really, do we know, do we care? It was kind of a wake up call for me. I might have the year plan in mind, or even the 5 year, but am I doing things to make them happen? Does it matter?

No comments: